Friday, January 2, 2015

What's Your Mission?



"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where-" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
                                  -Alice's Adventures in Wonderland By Lewis Carroll

To my surprise, the blog got a lot of hits yesterday, and so I wanted to give you all MORE! Feel free to post in the comments section of any topics you'd like to hear more of. In the meantime, i'll be blogging about life, goal setting, self-development, fitness, nutrition, etc., which brings us to today's post....
 WHAT IS YOUR MISSION?

Do you want to become a CEO or a senator? Rise to the top of your profession, make more money or more friends, or perhaps live a healthier life?

The more specific you are about what you want to do, the easier it becomes to develop a strategy to accomplish it. Part of that strategy is establishing relationships with the people in your universe who can help you get where you're going.

My own focus on goal setting came 4 years ago, every August I create a vision board (the last two years have been made on Pinterest) to assure myself I will not forget what it is I want to accomplish in that year. Being that I am a more visual person, I loved the project of finding the photos of what it is I wanted in life, for that year, for that month, for that week, for that minute. Anytime I achieve the goal I set out for myself, I can actually visualize the photo/photos I choose for it! These photos are my reminders and what keeps my drive.

There are many ways to set your goals, but the most useful process I have found thus far is separated into three steps which I will share with you today.

Step one: Find Your Passion.
"A goal is a dream with a deadline." Before you start writing down your goals, you'd better know what your dream is. There are too many choices, it seems, and so we typically end up shifting our focus to talents we don't have and careers that don't quite fit. Many of us respond by simply falling into whatever comes down the pike without ever asking ourselves some very important questions.

Have you ever sat down and thought seriously about what you truly love? What you're good at? What you want to accomplish in life? Most People don't. I encourage you to find the point in which your passion and ability come together, trust me it will be a powerful force in getting you to where you want to go.

There are two aspects to getting good information. One part comes from within you; the other part comes from those around you.

1. Look inside.
There are many ways to conduct a self-assessment of your goals and dreams. The important thing here is to do without the doubts, fears, and expectations of what you "should" be doing. When you are in the right frame of mind, start creating a list of those dreams and goals. After that list is done, create a second list of the things that bring you joy and pleasure. Which activities excite you the most, where you don't even notice the hours that pass? Now, it is  your job to connect these two lists, look for the intersections.

2. Look Outside.
Ask the people who know you best what they think your greatest strengths and weaknesses are. Ask them what they admire about you and what areas you may need help in. This information will help lead you to what your mission or direction should be. 

Step two: Putting Goals to Paper (or vision board).
Turning a mission into a reality does not "just happen." Your goals must be specific, concrete and detailed. Know what steps you'll take to achieve your goal, the date by which it will be accomplished, and the measurement you'll use to gauge whether you've achieved the goal or not. Additionally, your goal must be believable, challenging, and demanding. Step out of your comfort zone and take ACTION.

Step three: Create a Personal "Board of Advisors".
Goals aren't achieved alone, you will need reinforcement to stay focused. Find your Cheerleaders!


STAY FIT. STAY CLASSY. STAY TRUE

Jenna


References: Ferrazzi, K. (2005). Never Eat Alone. DoubleDay



No comments:

Post a Comment